Like this story? Subscribe to The Dossier
Luxury Travel Advisor’s only newsletter, covering unique destinations and product news for affluent travelers. Delivered every Tuesday & Thursday.
Marriott International has announced it is extending the date that its waiving cancellation fees for its hotels in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan through March 15, 2020.
In an updated statement released Wednesday morning, Marriott International said, “We are closely monitoring the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and World Health Organization’s statements regarding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) cases and following the guidelines from these agencies and the local health departments. The wellbeing of our guests and associates is of paramount importance. We have extended the date that we are waiving cancellation fees through March 15, 2020 for guests with reservations at our hotels in Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, and Taiwan and guests from Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, and Taiwan traveling outbound to other Marriott destinations globally.”
Marriott International’s luxury brands include St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Ritz-Carlton Reserve, Bulgari Hotels & Resorts, EDITION and JW Marriott.
Hyatt has previously announced that it’s waiving cancellation fees through February 29, 2020 for all Greater China guests with reservations at Hyatt hotels globally and all guests with reservations at Hyatt hotels in Greater China
“The safety and wellbeing of our guests and colleagues is a top priority for Hyatt,” it said in a statement. “We are closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and fully understand the concerns around traveling during this time. Consistent with our commitment to care, and to prioritize the health and wellbeing of our guests and colleagues, Hyatt is waiving cancellation fees through February 29, 2020.”
Good to know: In response to the COVID-19 situation, World of Hyatt is offering members residing in the Asia Pacific region a series of tier status and benefits extensions, including:
On a call last week, as reported by our sister publication Travel Agent, Hilton CEO Chris Nassetta said 150 of the brand’s hotels have been closed in China. He added, based on the industry’s experience with the SARS outbreak in 2003, he expects “escalation and impact from the outbreak” to continue for three to six months. Then, since “these things don’t turn around typically overnight, another three to six months on recovery. So essentially, a six- to 12-month period of time.”